- Town Council
- Visitor Information
- Visit Berwick Opens in a new window
- Youth Council
- Berwick Parks Project Opens in a new window
- Dog Bag Scheme
- Road Closure Notices
- Grant Schemes
- Guild of Freemen
- Honorary Freemen
- Local Information
- Local Services
- Planning Applications
- Image Library Opens in a new window
- What's New
Berwick-upon-Tweed Town Council,
5 The Chandlery,
T: 01289 302391
02 October 2015 - Annual return for the financial year ended 31 March 2015
29 September 2015 - Freedom Admissions Ceremony 29 September 2015
18 September 2015 - Declaration of Result of Poll - Stadium Ward - 17 September 2015
03 September 2015 - Notice of Poll - Stadium Ward - 17 September 2015
03 October 2015 - Family History Festival
16 October 2015 - Berwick Literary Festival
17 October 2015 - Spittal Autumn Fair
28 November 2015 - Christmas Lights Switch-On
Conditions for Berwick-upon-Tweed, UK at 7:50 am BST
Haze, 8 C
Sun - Partly Cloudy. High: 13 Low: 7
Mon - Rain/Wind. High: 14 Low: 11
Tue - Rain. High: 16 Low: 9
Wed - Showers/Wind. High: 13 Low: 6
Thu - Mostly Sunny. High: 15 Low: 6
Full Forecast at Yahoo! Weather Opens in a new window
(provided by The Weather Channel Opens in a new window)
The Town Council wishes to recognise the efforts of members of the community who demonstrate outstanding commitment to the well-being of Berwick, Spittal and Tweedmouth. The Council will do this, in special circumstances that meet the criteria of this policy, by awarding to an individual the title of Honorary Freeman (or Freewoman) of Berwick-upon-Tweed. This honour will be awarded only on rare and exceptional occasions. A maximum of four persons, unless otherwise decided by the Council, may be awarded the title Honorary Freeman (or Freewoman) of Berwick-upon-Tweed in any one year.
The following will be taken into account when consideration is given to granting the honour of Honorary Freeman (or Freewoman) of Berwick-upon-Tweed:
1. Preference will be given to a person who performs in a voluntary capacity, but this should not preclude the honour being awarded to a person whose dedication and contribution is significantly above that expected for their occupation.
2. All nominees should have carried out their largely voluntary roles for a period of at least 20 years.
3. Nominees need not necessarily be resident with the Berwick-upon-Tweed Town Council area.
4. Any nominated Town Councillor should have retired from the post.
5. The contribution to the community of Berwick-upon-Tweed should involve one or more of the following:
a. A significant allocation of the person’s time in serving members of the community for the improvement of their well-being
b. The promotion, achievement and/or delivery of community services in which a real personal contribution has been made
c. A contribution which is seen to stand above the contributions of most others.
1. Nominations should be made in the strictest confidence without the nominee’s knowledge. Any resident or elector of Berwick-upon-Tweed may make a nomination but it must be sponsored by a Town Councillor.
2. Nominations must be made in writing to the Town Clerk and supported by evidence of the voluntary service provided by the individual to the community and any other examples of service which justifies the honour. On receipt of a nomination it will be circulated to all Councillors for confidential consideration.
3. If Councillors are in agreement that the nominee should be made an Honorary Freeman (or Freewoman) of Berwick-upon-Tweed, the nominee will be invited to accept the honour. If agreed, the nomination will then be put before the Council and a formal vote taken, again in confidence.
4. No fewer than two-thirds of the Town Councillors must agree the nomination.
5. The decisions of the Council on all nominations are final.
Any person nominated may designate himself/herself Honorary Freeman (or Freewoman) of Berwick-upon-Tweed.
The award will normally be made at the annual Mayor-Making ceremony. A scroll will be presented to the recipient.
Honorary Freeman of Berwick-upon-Tweed
Mr John Hush
Mr Henry McCreath